Featured post

VIDA DE-sign by Michael Buckingham, aka Mick Muttley

Dear friends (yeah really, one of those) I have become a women's wear designer for VIDA! http://shopvida.com/collections/voices/ ...

Friday 11 October 2013

SubVersion Stop 204: Muttley - 15 MOF Pt. 69 - We Lived In A Garden's Heart (October 2013)


 "We Lived In A Garden's Heart" was created before I saw the brilliant film How I Live Now; "Garden's Heart", the first released collaboration between Bat For Lashes' Natasha Khan and Jon Hopkins, being made to close out the credits. It tells the story of Daisy (played by Saoirse Ronan) travelling to the UK to visit her cousins, only to fall in love with the elder and be struck into fighting for her and Piper's (the youngest daughter's)  life, as they are called away in an enactment of World War Three.

I am not usually one for full-on Action or full-on Drama films. But with How I Live Now, an excellent balance is reached. The dialogue that runs through Daisy's split-second thinking in a Surround Sound cinema is beguiling as it affects the overall narrative ("Step out of your comfort zone / Stay focused"). While the body bag scene and the return of lover Eddie's Peregrine to a part of the story gave me gestured emotions in watching on the edge of my seat ("Oh no / Yes", in no particular order not to spoil it for you).


I find "We Lived In A Garden's Heart" to be an interesting mix - for one there's a basic time-stretch done on the tracks past 7 minutes, to 70 BPM - so "Garden's Heart" has been drastically slowed down - and second it's my first mix created in my now upgraded Acoustica Mixcraft software. Mixcraft is an even better program than Acoustica Mp3 Audio Mixer - of course as the price is just over double its feature-set is as according. At £49, you get several Virtual Instruments, (Vsts), it's ReWire compatible, has a great video editor, and has an excellent, easy-to-use-and-scribble interface. I prefer it to using Ableton right now.

Please go and see the film if you can - I caught it on the last showing at my local Oxford cinema last night. The full soundtrack by Jon Hopkins is superb as well.

Enjoy "We Lived In A Garden's Heart". It's interesting to me for a third and final reason: my debut album "Grumpy Love" was critically acclaimed on the well-established Fluid Radio website by one of their most consistent writers - James Catchpole. The last track on this mix, both an emblem for How I Live Now and my next LP, is titled "Love Conquers All (For James C.), after a comment by him in the review's main body.

TRACKLIST

01. Epeus Reichenback - Endless Shipwreck (Etherized LP, 2007)
02. Taylor Deupree & Christopher Willits - Listening Garden I (Listening Garden LP, Line, 2011)
03. Milieu - The Bells Ring Electric In The Night (Brother LP, Metanoia, 2005)
04. Natasha Khan & Jon Hopkins - Garden's Heart (Amazon.co.uk download, 2013)
05. Heathered Pearls - Beach Shelter (Loscil Drone Mix) (Loyal Reworks LP, Ghostly, 2013)
06. Woob - Ultrascope II (Ultrascope LP, Woob Bandcamp, 2013)
07. Foci's Left - Love Conquers All [For James C.] (Life In A Less Southern Town LP, Omni Music Unreleased)
 


Download

No comments:

Post a Comment